One of the best parts of my life is my son. It was just the two of us when he was growing up & we were very close. We have the same sense of humor. We share a great love of a variety of music. We both analyze movies & tv shows (Why was Carl casually leaning with his back against the doors to the café full of walkers trying to get out on "The Walking Dead"?!?). And Stephen King is a frequent read. He's actually my favorite author - for the characters & flow of words, not the horror - & though my son is into classics, he does read King's works too & we discuss them.
Saturday night we were discussing a movie & I asked if he had recognized the guy shown only briefly & in a photograph at that. He said, "Yep. Casey Jones" & we both said "Ninja Turtles!" Honestly, I was surprised he had recognized him. It feels good to know that he has memories of things we shared such a long time ago.
One day he said something else that made me smile. He had called to check in, which also made me smile as our communications usually consist of occasional short texts. Don't get me wrong. I love texting. I am not a phone chatter. Texting lets me reach out without intruding. I can ask a question or just share a quick memory when I hear a special song or a familiar line from a movie. But sometimes when he is driving back from a jobsite, he checks in. On this particular call, we were talking about some good shows & movies we had watched on Netflix recently. I will admit that tv is my friend. I know that isn't the popular, healthy lifestyle thing to say but it is true. I yell at the screen, cry on cue &, more often than not, figure out the plot twist at the end before it happens. See? I do use my brain while being a couch potato.
But I digress. My son was telling me about a show that I should watch. He said he knew I would like it because "you like smart guys". That was it. Four simple words. Those words told me that, even though he has his own wonderful family now & I have been moved from the main cast to having an occasional guest-starring role just as it should be (note the tv analogy), he still remembers
who I really am. Yes, I do like smart guys. Now that's not to say that I look down on average-
thinking guy & makes-me-laugh guy is definitely right up there at the top. I am just fascinated by & quite drawn to guys who can tell your mother's maiden name by the way you tied your shoes that morning. Yes, those men are fictional, at least in my life (think "The Mentalist" & Robert Goren on "Law & Order: Criminal Intent"), but they draw me in just the same. And my son knows that. He knows me. And that makes me one very happy guest star.
dj
No comments:
Post a Comment