Friday, June 14, 2013

she don't want nobody near

I recently told a friend that I feel my illness has taken away my chance to ever be in a romantic relationship again.  She found that very sad, as do I, and asked why.  Well, for one thing, I have to live alone.  I have to have my Fortress of Solitude to retreat to when I can't face the outside world or when I have ventured into that foreign land but am too depleted to continue.  My home - cat hair, dirt and all - is my sanctuary.  And I have to have one.  The thought of sharing this space every day and night with someone who needs anything from me besides a bowl of cat food, fresh water, a scratch on the head, clean litter and an occasional chase with a laser pointer is unbearable.  Of course, I do miss many things about being in a relationship.  Those that I can remember anyway.  Hey, it's been a while.  I miss having that one person who is the first you call when something happens, whether good or bad.  I do have some girlfriends & even guy friends for that as well as my son & I am so grateful for them but it isn't quite the same.  I also miss eye-gazing.  You know what I mean.  When you feel like you are falling into someone's eyes and the world is disappearing.  I miss talks in the dark before you go to sleep.  And I will do us all a favor & skip talking about the physical stuff. 

Now I know there are many bad things about being in a relationship.  Those I haven't forgotten.  In fact, I think I know more people in unhappy relationships than good ones but I do know some good ones.  Most of them had to go through some very painful things to get to the good but they did.

Besides needing to live alone, I know what my issues do to other people.  I saw a man I truly loved hurt every time I retreated into that bad, dark place.  I was suffering & so was he.  He didn't understand why I pulled away from him in every way possible even though I tried to explain that he had done nothing wrong.  Eventually, he found what he needed from someone else.  I almost didn't survive it.

So, I can't live with someone & I can't be an active participant in a relationship all the time.  Besides that, I just plain don't like anyone seeing me when I am so deeply sad or numb & distant.  It is ugly.  Doesn't really leave a lot to offer someone.  Hey, if I was a young, thin supermodel, they might overlook some of the bad.  Nope.  Disappointing there too.

Now surprisingly, there are a couple of guys in my life who claim they love me.  I am not sure how deep that love goes & I am not dating either one.  I have known them a really long time, since before I was on medication & when I was thin & maybe even a little cute.  I didn't know I was thin but pictures prove it to me now.  One I dated in high school & he tells me we should have gotten married back then because we would still be married.  Ha!  That is my response to him.  Ha!  I worked with the other for many years starting right after my divorce.  His nest is about to be empty so I think he sees me as the answer to his loneliness.  They are both very good men with big hearts.  That doesn't change the fact that I am broken & always will be.  On this earth anyway.  The pressure to make another person happy & not show it when all I want to do is be by myself, to be invisible, is more than I can stand.  My doctors tell me to avoid stress when at all possible.  That would not be a stress-free situation.  Ever.  And as far as dating anybody goes, dating leads to kissing which leads to a more physical relationship.  Although I haven't always lived that way, I don't want a physical relationship outside of marriage and, as I have been telling you, marriage is out for me.  Unless someone wants to marry a broken woman & live next door to her.  Nah.  Still too much pressure.  Guess I will just keep watching Netflix, being careful to avoid shows with romance & love & kissing & all that other unmentionable stuff.  Too bad I don't like sports.

dj

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for replying to my post on DS. I love this. I too feel the same. That romantic relationships are now out and that alone depresses me. I too need a lot of solitude to recharge. Staying with my mother for a while and I swear I can't get my own rhythm going and just want to shut down by now. Repeated romantic stress with the wrong person put me in the worst depression ever finally. It's been over for 1.5 years and my depression is so much worse now. Never again though I will remain open to someone better and maybe take a chance again. It would have to feel pretty safe though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, my rambling was certainly not meant to say that no one who suffers from depression can find love. I wish you all the best in that & in finding a more peaceful life altogether. Just remember to do what's best for you, even if it means "recharging" more than others think you should. You are the only one who truly knows what is going on inside your head. And no guilt! I will talk about that in a future post. Thanks for reading my blog & commenting.
      Take care,
      dj

      Delete